Covance, the drug development business of LabCorp, is the world’s most comprehensive drug development services company. Because of our broad experience, from early research to commercialization, our more than 20,000 employees from across the globe are in a unique position to supply insights that go above and beyond testing. Our team’s impact on healthcare is remarkable. Through their everyday work they’ve supported 100% of the top 50 drugs on the market and all the oncology drugs approved in 2016. Even though we span multiple businesses, we operate as one, sharing our knowledge to improve our efficiency and deliver on the promise of a healthier world.
At Covance, you’ll redefine what’s possible and discover your extraordinary potential. You’ll have the opportunity to personally advance scientific research and make a difference in peoples’ lives with your bold ideas and unique point of view. With the support of exceptional people and an energized purpose, you’ll be empowered to own your career journey with mentoring, training and personalized development planning.
Join us as we speed the delivery of groundbreaking therapies and anticipate tomorrow’s drug development challenges, creating new possibilities for our clients—and your career.
About this Opportunity
Working as part of the Global Project Management Office (PMO), the Project Manager (PM) routinely conducts full management of Client projects. In this role, the PM will provide internal and external Clients with a central point of contact for projects. The individual is accountable for leading the Project teams to ensure that Client requirements and deliverables are met. This involves end to end management of a project, encompassing effective management of Client communication and use of the appropriate tools to ensure the successful initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and completion of projects. In support of a project, a PM will assist with study costing and contract requests and is accountable for financial tracking and reconciliation of projects. This position is located in Chantilly, VA.
The PM will be required to utilise excellent communication skills to liaise with internal and external project teams, departmental management and the Client to ensure effective progress throughout the life cycle of a project. Strong interpersonal skills are required as is the ability to negotiate with both internal and external Clients. The ability to identify specific project requirements and engage the appropriate subject matter experts / resource in accordance with the project milestones is a key aspect of this role.
The individual will identify and following approval, initiate the introduction of new processes and contribute to development and delivery of internal projects within the PMO. They will also support the day-to-day running of the PMO and publish internal and Client specific KPIs/KRIs and analyse such measures to calibrate the success of a project.
The post holder will ensure adherence to the appropriate SOPs and will be responsible for completion of all relevant documentation.
- Oversees and participates in the on-boarding process of new clients.
- Participates in the Client enquiry / project initiation process. Contribute to the generation of Client specific proposals following the triage process, support associated conference calls and Client visits, focusing on standard and more complex projects.
- Participates in and provides guidance to client and financial services' interactions with the client and processes.
- Reviews project scope for alignment with contract requirements and provides necessary feedback. Where appropriate, supports requests for master service agreements (MSAs), technical / quality agreements and Confidentiality Agreements (CDAs). Ensure the documents are in place in a timely manner for the initiation of the project.
- As applicable, prepare time lines to support the quote process in conjunction with Client Services and Operations.
- Request Study Numbers and Project numbers as required for Projects.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for the project work for internal/external customers.
- Using the appropriate system, manages and coordinates schedules across the department, including lab scheduling and resource management. Able to prepare schedules that drive and ensure delivery of key milestones for complex projects and key clients on a global level as applicable.
- Prepare and maintain contact details information. As needed prepare, maintain, and circulate project plan.
- Lead collaborative discussions with client and scientific teams to fully define the project requirements. Effectively communicate requirements to the project team.
- During the planning of new projects liaise with Client Services to coordinate the production of contracts, using the appropriate project tool, to ensure that these are in place in a timely manner.
- Set-up, monitor and maintain appropriate tracking for each project. Proactively monitor potential scheduling concerns and help to identify solutions. Provide the Project team, including the Client, with regular updates.
- Leads the communication and interaction with the project team, other departments, and clients.
- Leads project update meetings; assigns actions and monitors progress to ensure project progression with respect to compliance with agreed schedules and scope.
- Proactively, identifies and removes barriers to project execution. Applies lessons learned to improve processes for future projects.
- Proactively advises client to design studies to minimize risk to timelines and communicates timeline changes or concerns to internal and external clients in a timely manner.
- Leads client conference calls, project meetings, and visits as appropriate.
- Works across operational units, other departments, and sub contractors to achieve overall targeted milestones. Drives relationship growth across teams to increase customer service opportunities.
Monitoring and Controlling
- Where applicable, maintains well documented, organized, and up-to-date study files including schedules, protocols, and correspondence.
- Understand, influence, and drive the quotation and contracts process. Routinely produce, update, revise and reconcile project finance and revenue trackers. Submit and track WSC as required by the project
- Collect and collate internal and client metrics / KPI's for report out to internal teams, clients and management.
- As appropriate for the project, maintain an issues log. Lead problem solving by defining issues, providing alternative solutions and ensuring decisions are made and disseminated to the team.
- Identifies and escalates issues as appropriate using the defined escalation process. In conjunction with the appropriate management team, management drives the resolution process.
- Maintains detailed financial projections, revenue recognition information, and invoicing details.
- Conducts risk evaluation sessions and produces a risk management log. Evaluates and acts opportunities with the project team and department. Provides risk mitigation for the project and continue to evaluate and review risk log throughout the project life cycle. Conducting lessons learned sessions as appropriate throughout the life of a project. Escalates risks with wider impact to PM management team.
- Participate in the Governance of Client projects by providing detailed information to support the process and meetings.
- Follow up with Clients during and after project completion to determine satisfaction levels and to gain insight into ways to improve our service offering. Utilise CAIR process and NPS data to address internal / Client issues.
- Where applicable, responsible for managing QA audit timelines and where appropriate delegating actions.
- At the end of a project phase or at close of the project, close out all project tracking tools.
- Performs post-project analysis of project performance.
- Employ effective general management and interpersonal skills to manage the relationship within project teams with an emphasis on the client.
- Able to coordinate, schedule, and manage projects both locally and globally.
- Responds to unscheduled deadlines, client needs, and crises without neglecting other responsibilities.
- Prepares and organizes client visits.
- Where the opportunity arises ensure that Clients receive relevant information on Covance service offerings. Where appropriate draw in the subject matter experts / Client Services.
- Understand the role and accountability of the PMO within ED Chemistry Solutions. Knowledge of the global Covance culture and the ability to collaborate with other Covance locations is required.
- Identifies and participates in process improvement initiatives within the PMO and associated business. Leads process improvements within the Covance organization.
- Provide information on planning and financial forecasting to the relevant business units. Collect and collate information proactively from clients to forecast portfolio needs.
- A comprehensive understanding of the processes involved in the production of protocols, SOPs, analytical procedures, working documents, forms, reports, data evaluation and Client/QA audits is required.
- Provides appropriate coaching and recognition to project team members and colleagues.
- Leads new employee training.
- Ensure individual training records are up to date and accurately reflect capabilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.