We are seeking a Staff Scientist for our Covance Central Laboratory Services Genomics Deptartment. This Staff Scientist will participate in scientific activities and initiatives in support of Laboratory Operations. Performs assay development and complex trouble-shooting and problem-solving, supporting Lab Operations to ensure smooth transition of Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) assays into production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs complex troubleshooting and assists in leading initiatives to solve challenging scientific problems with NGS assays or instrumentation.
- Applies and interprets scientific theories, concepts, techniques, and regulatory requirements in clinical studies and accepts leadership role in developing NGS assays.
- Provides consultation to scientific and operational staff on technical issues involving NGS.
- Responds to unscheduled deadlines, client needs, crises, etc. without neglecting other duties.
- Assists with regular monitoring and evaluation of NGS assays to ensure effective scientific performance.
- May provide technical training for operational staff.
- Provides technical/scientific consultation to departments outside the lab as requested.
- Contributes to long-term planning and technical policies of the Laboratory.
- Assists in managing scientific vendor relationships to troubleshoot issues and improve capabilities.
- Regularly reads literature related to scientific area of expertise to remain current in knowledge.
- Presentations to clients and professional groups.