Covance Food Solutions, formerly National Food Lab is looking to add a Food Safety Project Leader- Microbiologist to our team. The primary focus of this position is on the design and execution of basic to medium complexity research studies. Basic experience with and understanding of the food safety regulations is required. This is an excellent entry point for recent MS Microbiology or Food Science graduates.
A person in this role should be able to independently communicate effectively with clients about study results, including interpretation of the results, and conduct consulting sessions along with a Research Microbiologist or higher level position. This person is qualified to design basic to medium complexity research studies, write proposals, protocols, and final reports for studies under the oversight of a Research Microbiologist or higher position, and to review and approve data generated by the laboratory. This position has a 25% focus on laboratory tasks and a 75% focus on consulting tasks. Other responsibilities include:
- Provides administrative and scientific support for food safety research studies including pre study tasks (i.e., protocol development, costing, scheduling), monitoring the in-life progress of assigned studies, interacting with clients and laboratory personnel and preparing report components (i.e. drafting progress reports, writing report procedures, and reviewing results and conclusions in final reports for accuracy).
- Works as a team member with the consulting and laboratory groups to oversee the organization, scheduling, and execution of projects (e.g., supply and materials lists, coordination) in the laboratory.
- Provides backup support for Project Leaders on day to day study specific activities or tasks, as required.
- Initiates and submits costing and scheduling requests.
- Participates in preinitiation, prewriting, and other study-related meetings, as required.
- Takes and distributes Preinitiation Meeting minutes.
- Drafts protocols and revisions for Project Leader review and approval with minimal supervision.
- Verifies that project data sheets accurately reflect the requirements of the protocol.
- Coordinates study and reporting process on assigned studies.
- Maintains proficiency in specific software used in study conduct.
- Maintains familiarity with routine study procedures.
- Monitors critical phases of routine and specialized studies and reports any problems or deviations to the Senior Technical Manager.
- Compiles data and drafts summary reports for periodic study progress.
- Learns to manage test article acquisition, MSDS distribution, and test article disposition as applicable.
- Reviews data packages from the lab and identifies deficiencies.
- Writes and prepares diverse study procedures, tables and graphs for the report.
- Learns to coordinate the receipt and incorporation of contributor reports into the main final report.
- Performs preliminary review of reports to assure completeness and accuracy prior to formal peer reviews.
- Performs formal peer reviews.
- Addresses QA audits relating to reports with limited oversight.
- Ensures that all client comments are addressed and documented in a timely manner and that revised or final reports are scheduled and mailed.
- Identifies opportunities for process improvement and assists in their resolution.
- Other administrative or scientific duties as assigned.
- Assists or co-hosts client visits and writes up debriefing notes.
- Works as a team with all staff to accomplish position and business objectives.