The Pathologist, Medical Director provides medical consultative and interpretive support to Covance Central Laboratory Services and its internal and external customers. The incumbent is responsible for medical decision-making and consultation that relate to laboratory services and clinical trials. Additional responsibilities include consulting with Quality Assurance, Safety Committee, Investigator Site Support, Project Management, Sponsors, and Investigators.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the laboratory, medical or other company functions that require a pathologist, including analyses of and responses to medical or pathology/laboratory/clinical trials inquiries by customers
- Provide medical support and direction to the Laboratory Operations leaders, acting as first point of contact for Central Labs.
- Provide medical/pathology/clinical laboratory support to Laboratory operations departments and Investigators sites as needed.
- Participate in investigator meetings or client visits to provide medical and laboratory support required for the success of a pharmaceutical drug clinical trial and submission of laboratory data to the FDA.
- Consult with Quality Assurance to ensure compliance with applicable local and international regulations governing clinical reference laboratories, transport of clinical specimens, and pharmaceutical drug clinical trials.
- Collaborate with others in the organization in the creation and approval of reference ranges and appropriate test/method selection for a given clinical indication.
- Advise in the development and approval of the technical database, the proprietary clinical trials database, and laboratory information systems.
- Participate in the review and/or approval of new test or service feasibilities.
- Remain current in technology advances in the areas of laboratory medicine and clinical trials, as well as contribute to scientific publications.
- As needed, interact with Sponsors and Medical Affairs group in protocol review and/or development, participate in business development visits, and represent Covance at professional meetings