The Senior Scientific Recruiter will provide a full suite of recruiting services for their assigned scientific business units. Sources, qualifies and delivers diverse candidate slates for a wide range of positions within assigned client group, including senior-level and technical positions. Partners with assigned business unit(s) to understand recruiting needs and translate needs to specific recruiting strategies and tactics. Generally specializes in a particular area of recruitment (e.g., Medical Doctors, PhDs, Executives), has a broad understanding of Covance’s global business portfolio and structure and actively contributes to talent acquisition as an enabler of execution of business strategies. Advises on areas of subject matter expertise and/or leads a team of less experienced or technically proficient recruiters.
The Senior Scientific Recruiter also collaborates with business leaders, HR and Global Talent Management colleagues to understand the Covance regional and business unit strategies and translates them to aligned talent acquisition objectives. The Senior Recruiter is a talent advisor who influences business talent acquisition strategy by informing staffing decisions with deep knowledge of the organization and external talent markets.
Technical Duties and Responsibilities:
• Subject Matter Expert (SME) for assigned business unit: As the Recruitment Talent Advisor (RTA) partner to a specific business unit understands the business strategy and key enablers, including talent. Advises business leaders and hiring managers on labor market information/trends and how such trends impact talent acquisition for their business.
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of Covance’s global structure to integrate information and trends from the recruiter’s own and other areas to develop more comprehensive approaches to acquiring needed talent. Is a go to resource and advisor for recruiters seeking guidance or assistance on specific business unit-related issues.
• Develops recruitment plans based on clients’ talent management strategy:
- Influences business leaders and HR Partners in prioritizing roles or markets for increased focus
- Develops and manages annual staffing forecast based on workforce plans
Serves as an internal consultant and talent advisor on best practices in recruiting to clients and senior management; continually research and evaluate the external marketplace to maintain an ongoing awareness of competitive practices, and leverage best practice methods and process improvements.
• Participates in recruitment planning discussions with business and HR Partners.
• Delivers Quarterly Reviews for client: Prepare metrics/stats, industry updates, state of the talent market and competitive landscape.
• SME for assigned business area(s) for RTA (e.g., Employee Referral Program (ERP), relocation, social media recruitment, conferences and events) and provide guidance on SME to the RTA organization and clients.
• Mentor/Train junior staff members on technical expertise (e.g. direct sourcing methods, conference strategies, industry awareness).
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Executes recruiting process with hiring manager (sourcing, interviewing and selection) to drive effective and efficient talent acquisition for Covance.
• Builds/establishes open communication with supervisors and managers to determine recruiting needs, assess talent availability in the internal and external talent markets, and develop recruiting plans and strategies,
• Sources candidates, consistently evaluates current and new sourcing opportunities.
• Develops and maintains effective recruiting networks to source diverse slates of candidates through multiple channels (i.e., college and job fair recruiting, conference attendance, trade journal use, and relationships with agencies and vendors).
• Develops offer packages, working with hiring manager and business unit HR as appropriate to ensure competitive offers to attract the needed talent.
• Ensures all pre-employment screening is complete and candidate is cleared for hire.
• Trains and orientates supervisors and employees with respect to recruiting procedures, effective interviewing skills, and applicable laws.
• Communicates recruiting initiatives to business unit HR, employees and hiring managers.
• Maintains applicant tracking system (ATS) data on recruitment activity as required by local laws and regulations.
• Execute tactics to support local Affirmative Action Plans to contribute to the achievement of diversity goals.
• Maintains required files for job openings and selection decisions.
• Produces requested information for monthly reports as needed.
• Ensures metrics are achieved within Service Level Agreements.
• Lead projects as related to recruiting initiatives such as development of candidate sell sheets, position segmentation analysis, and talent landscape profiles for specific positions
• Occasional travel, primarily regional travel, to professional recruiting events (e.g., job fairs).
• Travel to other Covance locations on occasion.
• Limited international travel may be required.
• Bachelors degree (or country equivalent) or at least 4 years of relevant work experience as a recruiter (in lieu of degree). Preferred majors for degree include Human Resources Management, Industrial Relations, Business Administration/Management, Psychology.
• Extensive knowledge of Human Resources practices, laws and regulations in geographic areas of operation governing recruitment.
• Expert client and candidate relationship management skills; proven ability to interact and build relationships with candidates and all levels of the organization (including senior management).
• Expert and utilization knowledge of sourcing methodologies, tools and media.
• Ability to work with team members and hiring managers in a “virtual” setting as position may be physically remote from recruiting team members, hiring managers and/or supervisor.
• Ability to think and make decisions autonomously with limited supervision.
• Strong attention to detail, organization and follow-up skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills.
• Ability to prioritize a high volume of requisitions while managing multiple projects across diverse position types and/or client groups.
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately.
• Full proficiency with applicant tracking systems; experience with Kenexa BrassRing a plus. Experience with PeopleSoft ERP a plus.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office: Outlook (intermediate), Word (basic), Excel (intermediate), PowerPoint (intermediate) and PeopleSoft (basic).
• At least 7 years of related experience (CRO, pharma, or life sciences) in a recruiting role within a search consultancy, Recruitment Outsource Provider, or in-house recruitment team.
• At least 5 years’ experience working in tandem with external recruitment agencies with results in assessing the performance and effectiveness of their services.
• Targeted Selection Interview (TSI) certified in interviewing and assessment.
• Demonstrated success in sourcing positions globally at all levels (meeting key performance indicators for recruiting on a consistent basis).